Sunday, February 3, 2008

Week Two: Blog Four

Smoky Mountain Rose: An Appalachian Cinderella

I chose this book for my third outside reading book because we are currently reading our Cinderella stories. When I went home my mom and I went through our closets upstairs and found me tons of my books from when I was younger. My mom was raised in Virginia and has instilled me in the love of the mountains. So when she handed me this book I knew it would be a good one. In the author's note of this book it talks about all the many other verisions of Cinderella. She talks about the "Catskins" and "Ashpet." Before this class I wouldnt have even bothered to look at that and take into consideration all the differences but she points them out and now that I have read them all it so intreresting to look at the different versions.





Another thing I loved about this book was the language she used to really put you in the Smoky Mountains and understand how they talk and felt. Also I loved the larger than life illustrations.

No comments: